Thursday, August 26, 2021

Chlorine In Tap Water – How Much Is Too Much?

Too much chlorine in drinking water is understood to be a common problem. However, it is important to understand why this is such a problem. Chlorine is actually a gas found in the environment and it is poisonous. When chlorine is in its purest form, it takes on the appearance of a green gas. Inhaling chlorine in that form can be extremely harmful to humans.

Chlorine has historically been used in small doses in water treatment plants to rid water of contaminants and make it safe for drinking. The harm in using chlorine comes when levels exceed a certain amount. When water testing is completed regularly, it is done in order to find traces of chlorine that are above the accepted amount as established by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency).

Many people rely on tap water for most daily household activities, which includes drinking, cooking, washing clothes, and showering. It's not common for most families to conduct daily tests on the amount of chlorine in their water. However, the acceptable amount of chlorine in drinking water should not exceed 4 parts per million. When testing water for chlorine, any reading above that amount should be addressed immediately. A failure to do so could cause a variety of problems.

When there is too much chlorine in your drinking water, signs and show up rather quickly. Symptoms are very similar to those that are experienced when someone contracts the flu. Nausea, headaches, cramping and even vomiting can be a result taking in too much chlorine. Also, Studies have indicated that women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer showed higher levels of chlorination settled within their fat tissue. This connection can result and frightening consequences.

So what is the answer?

It is impractical to test water every day. In the midst of a busy lifestyle, many people may neglect to test their drinking water on even an annual basis. It is just something most people take for granted. Now, one sip of water with a chlorine level just above 4 parts per million is not going to kill you. However, its effects can be felt on a long-term basis. And the higher the level, the more risk you run. That is why any chlorine reading above 4 parts per million should not be overlooked.

There are water systems that can be installed in a home to ensure proper filtration and purification of drinking water at all times. Look into reliable reliable solutions for drinking water. The health of you and your family is too important to neglect.

For all your water solutions in Charlotte, NC, check out everything that Carolina Water Products has to offer.